In the 10-20 level range, a few more zones become accessible. Overall Les Tarides (the Barrens)
is considered the optimal zone for all Horde races to level in due to its large level range, high quantity of quests, and relative safety (as it is still considered Horde territory). Les Serres-Rocheuses (Stonetalon Mts)
is also accessible once players reach level 16-20.Forêt des Pins argentés (Silverpine Forest)
is a viable (albeit weaker) alternative to Les Tarides (the Barrens)
in this level range, although for Undead players it is the closest zone after Clairières de Tirisfal
. Given that the zeppelin to Durotar
is nearby, Les Tarides (the Barrens)
can be accessed just as easily.
The Barrens (Horde territory)Les Tarides (the Barrens)
is a level 10-33 zone in central Kalimdor. Most of the quests will originate from Far Watch Post
, The Crossroads
, and Camp Taurajo
Far Watch PostRatchetThe CrossroadsCamp Taurajo
- Transit: Flight paths are located in The Crossroads, Ratchet, and Camp Taurajo.
- Terrain: The terrain of The Barrens can be described as a savanna plain with some small mountains throughout the zone. Overall, navigating and traversing The Barrens is relatively easy.
- Mob Density: Mobs tend to be spread out, although in some areas the mob density dramatically increases (Thorn Hill, The Forgotten Pools, etc). Avoid traveling past Camp Taurajo until closer to level 20.
- Notable Quest Rewards
Hezrul Marque-de-sang rewards Anneau du chasseur de primes. Generally this is the first ring that players can obtain.
- Apothicaire Zamah rewards Touille-chaudron, in addition to a choice of either Elixir de Robustesse mineure, Elixir d'Agilité mineure, Potion de régénération mineure, Potion de rapidité.
- Samophlange rewards Marteau d'ingénieur or Bouclier soudé. Generally this is the first Uncommon shield that players can obtain.
- Le cri du faucon-tonnerre rewards Gants de la lune in addition to a choice of either Targe en cobalt or Bâton du cavalier céleste.
- Serena Plumesang rewards Elégante épée courte, Eventreur de harpies, Hache de Zhovur.
- Cavernes des lamentations (intended for level 18+ players) is located southwest of The Crossroads. The quests for Wailing Caverns are outlined here.
- Kraal de Tranchebauge (intended for level 28+ players) is located in the southern Barrens near the Great Lift. The quests for Razorfen Kraul are outlined here.
- Souilles de Tranchebauge (intended for level 36+ players) is located in the southern Barrens near the Great Lift. The quests for Razorfen Downs are outlined here.
: Alliance players are flagged by default in Contested zones, although Horde players are not. It is not common for Alliance players to run Cavernes des lamentations
, although many PvP encounters tend to occur at the entrances to Les Serres-Rocheuses (Stonetalon Mts)
, and Mille pointes (Thousand Needles)